Muslim greeting | Learning with Zaky
How to Greet in Islam
In our era of globalization, we often come into contact with people different from us. This is particularly true in international business settings. Want to greet a Muslim respectfully? A few simple rules will help you do that.
Greeting a Muslim if you are a Non-Muslim
Use the Salam greeting when meeting a Muslim.Greet a Muslim as they would greet one another.
- Use the phrase "As-Salam-u-Alaikum" ("Peace be unto you").
- This is pronounced “as-saa-laam-muu-ah-lay-kum.”
- You might also choose to use the longer greeting of "As-Salam-u-Alaikum wa-rahmatullahi wa-barakatuh" ("Peace be unto you and so may the mercy of Allah and his blessings”).
- The pronunciation is “us-saa-laam-muu-alie-kum waa-rah-ma-tull-laa-hee wa-bara-kaa-tu-hu.”
Do not expect the Salam greeting from a Muslim.Traditionally, the Salam greeting is reserved for those of the Muslim faith, so if you are not Muslim, you might not receive this greeting.
- Some current Islamic scholars believe that, in the interest of global peace and understanding, it is permitted to initiate the Salam greeting with non-Muslims.
- If you do receive the Salam greeting, respond with "wa-Alaikumussalam wa-Rahmatullah."
- The pronunciation is "waa-alie-kum-us-salam waa-rah-ma-tull-la"
- The meaning is "May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be upon you."
- The longer response is "waa-alai-kum-us-salam-wa-rahma-tall-ahi-wa-ba-ra-ka-tu".
Expect a Muslim to return the Salam greeting.If greeted with the Salam greeting, a Muslim will respond to a non-Muslim with the return greeting ("wa-Alaikumussalam wa-Rahmatullah").
- It is obligatory for a Muslim to return the Salam greeting, regardless of the religion of the other person. To refuse this is against their religion.
- According to the Qu'ran (Muslim holy text), the Salam greeting has been mandatory since the creation of Adam and is commanded by Allah.
Shake hands with male Muslims if you are male.It is common for Muslim men to shake hands.
- There is generally no prohibition against men shaking hands with other men.
- The exception is some Shia Muslims prohibit shaking hands with any non-Muslims.
- Do not be offended if a Muslim declines to shake your hand. It isn’t a personal affront but a reflection of their religious beliefs.
Do not shake hands with female Muslims if you are male.While there is debate on the appropriateness of female Muslims shaking hands with men, you should not do so unless she initiates the contact.
- Many Muslim women do not shake hands with men due to religious prohibitions against a woman being touched by a man outside of her family.
- Some Muslim women, especially those working in corporate environments, might shake hands with men.
- Some Muslim women wear gloves in order to get around the prohibition against touching a male who is not a relative.
Do not shake hands with male Muslims if you are female.Regardless of your religious beliefs, you should not reach for a male Muslim’s hand unless he initiates the contact.
- Pious Muslim men do not touch women outside of their family (wives, daughters, mothers, etc.)
- Refraining from touching a woman she is not related to is considered a gesture of respect and modesty.
Greeting a Fellow Muslim
Greet your fellow Muslim by wishing them peace.One should always greet a fellow Muslim.
- "As-Salam-u-Alaikum" is the most common greeting among Muslims.
- This is the minimum required when greeting a Muslim.
- It is permissible to use the minimum greeting when time is short, such as when passing each other on the street.
- Add “wa-rahmatullahi wa-barakatuh” to complete the greeting.
Remember that Allah commands that Muslims greet one another.Be mindful of the rules governing who initiates the greeting.
- The one who comes greets the Muslims that are present.
- The one who is riding greets the one who is walking.
- The one who is walking greets the one who is sitting.
- The smaller group greets the bigger group.
- The young greet the elders.
- Say the Salam greeting when arriving and leaving a gathering.
Return the greeting.Always acknowledge the greeting by giving a response.
- Respond with "wa Alaikum Assalam wa Rahmatullah."
- It is permissible to respond only with the first part ("wa Alaikum Assalam").
QuestionHow should a Hindu person greet an elder Muslim?Laith M. SrhanCommunity AnswerSimply, say the greeting of Islam: "As-Salam-u-Alaikum" ("Peace be unto you").Thanks!
QuestionCan I shake hands with female Muslims if I'm female?Top AnswererYes, you can.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I say 'good day'?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSimply say "Good day" (in whatever language). Muslims are not averse to socialising. We believe that all people are the same and equal, and that we live in different cultures and know several languages. "Good day" has no specific phrase in religion, if you speak with Arabic person you can say Yaum Saied, but remember not all Muslims are Arab, and not all Arabs are Muslims.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I say "how are you"?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSimply say, "Kayfa haluk?" It is not Muslim-specific, it is a Standard Arabic expression, and you can address it to Arab Muslims and non-Muslims.Thanks!
QuestionWhy do Muslim women wear their head covered and do they chose what days to wear their head coverings?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMuslim women wear head cover (hijab) as a form of modesty and to cover their hair and must cover everything except her face, hands, and feet after she has reached the age of puberty except around family. They should ideally wear it whenever they go out.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I greet a Muslim on EID?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBy saying "kul aam wa ant bekhir" or "eid mubarak."Thanks!
QuestionHow can I say "thank you?"wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou may say: "Shukran." "Thank you very much" is "Shukran Jazeelan." The reply to that is : "Afwan" and means "you are most welcome."Thanks!
QuestionDo men hug or embrace in Islam?SolismanCommunity AnswerMen can hug each other, but a man cannot embrace a woman unless they are married.Thanks!
QuestionIf a Muslim calls me on the phone, can I greet them with "asalamu alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu"?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionWhy can't women shake hands with men?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIn Islam, expressing love to the opposite sex is only allowed via marriage. This means, if you are female, that you are for your husband and your husband is for you, no one else. So you shouldn't touch other men because this MAY lead to romantic attachment toward the other man. Also, it's a kind of respect for your husband (meaning you only allow your beloved husband to touch you and vice versa).Thanks!
To greet in Islam, say "As-Salam-u-Alaikum," which means "Peace be unto you." If someone returns the greeting, say "wa-Alaikumussalam wa-Rahmatullah," which means "May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be upon you."
- Say Salam to strangers as well as people you know.
- As a Muslim, if you are speaking with non-Muslim people from all around the world, you can use hello, good morning, etc, or the common greeting of the land.
- Muslim children should also be greeted with the Salaam, so that they become acquainted with Islamic manners.
- Do not replace the Islamic greeting with words like Hi, Hello, or Good Morning when speaking to devout Muslims.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Русский: , Italiano: , Português: , Deutsch: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Français: , Nederlands: , العربية: , Türkçe:
Jul 27, 2019
May 29, 2019
Mar 9, 2019
Jul 7, 2019
Oct 16, 2019
Apr 26, 2019
Feb 1, 2019
May 8, 2019
Jul 7, 2019
Sep 3, 2019
Apr 18, 2019
Jun 19, 2019
Jun 11, 2019
Dec 1, 2019
Jun 14, 2019
Jan 17, 2019
May 31, 2019
Oct 30, 2019
Jan 14, 2019
Aug 30, 2019
Jun 27, 2019
May 28, 2019
May 5, 2019
Jun 22, 2019
Apr 30, 2019
Apr 27, 2019
Dec 8, 2019
Video: Learn Arabic - Arabic in 3 Minutes - How to Greet People in Arabic
How to Whiten Your Nails
Star Hair Trend: Pastel Hair Highlights or Rainbow Hair
HIIT workouts you can do at home
Exercise and Cancer Treatment
The Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot has found its Harvey
How to Know when to Let Go of a Relationship
How to Find the Height of a Triangle
7 Diabetes Myths Put To Rest Once And For All
Air France flight stranded in Siberia for 3 days en route to Shanghai
Thanks to Pernille Teisbaek, This Is Set to Be a Huge Bridal Trend
Little-Known Ways to Get Rich
10 Beauty MythsUncovered
The Halloween Costumes You’re Going to See Everywhere in 2019, According to theInternet